View Single Post
Old
06-17-2011, 02:40 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Nobody in their right mind would ever take Markov over Chara.
I would. But then I think Chara is a little overrated (elite #1 D-man, yes, but perennial Norris?) because of big guy syndrome, and I have a strong belief in the value of puck movers at even strength. Then factor in that Markov is arguably the best PP QB on Earth...

Quote:
Who comes up with the Corsi numbers and who determines the scoring chances? Is it done with official stats or is it this Olivier guy who calculates it?
Corsi numbers are based on official score sheets. It's a simple calculation: goals + shots + misses + blocked attempts for, and then you subtract the against. It's a fine proxy for puck possession and correlates well with winning in the long term.

Olivier looks over the chances and counts them based on a set of criteria -- a chance is defined as a strong play on net from within the "home plate area", from the goalposts to the faceoff dots and from there to the top of the circles. Missed shots count, blocked shots do not. These criteria are fairly objective ensuring consistency; they are used by a number of observers who collect chances for a number of teams, and the numbers match well when those teams meet each other.

Quote:
Different kind of talents... I hate Ference and see him as a cheap shot artist. But he's rugged and he's initmidating.
He's also bad at keeping opponents from taking dangerous shots at his net, which is one of the qualities I look for in a defenseman. "Rugged and intimidating", to me, are nice-to-haves, but if it's all a defenseman has, then what we have is a poor defenseman.

Quote:
Those kinds of skills though, don't show up on a spreadsheet.
Sure they will, if they have value. Presumably this helps the defenseman in question defend the net against opposing scorers, surely? If it doesn't help prevent scoring chances against, then what good is it? "These guys sure are intimidated while they bombard our goalie"?

Quote:
You may hate Boston and they don't have the kind of offensive talent from the blueline that we do, but they played pretty well as a group over the playoffs and they are a rough and tumble group as a whole. The whole team bought into the system and (with the help of the refs not really calling anything) used it to their advantage.
They also had extraordinarily good goaltending and faced unusually bad goaltending. Which had more to do with Boston's Cup than any roughing and tumbing.

Quote:
No. The real problem is that he has the skill level to be much better than he is. His "production range" should be much higher than it is.
That's largely irrelevant though. He offers X amount of effectiveness offensively and defensively and his salary is in line with that X amount. What we think he should be is pretty much completely irrelevant to what he is, and as a GM Gauthier must primarily be concerned with the latter.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote