View Single Post
Old
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Noonansgoal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Checking line is a fancy way of saying line of forwards whose primary responsibility is defense. Surely you jest if you mean to say that you can't play good defense without hitting.

No "tool," if you will, in a hockey player's potential repertoire is given more importance than it deserves than hitting. First sign of a casual fan mentality towards the strategy of the game = overrating the role of hitting in the sport.

Jeff Halpern is a fine defensive forward.
Exaclty Sting, I couldnt agree more. Blair Betts was a fine example of a checking center that utilized an intelligent defensive game without excessively throwing his body around. He didn't need to in order to play an effect role.

God I miss that guy as a player.

Quote:
Just because a player doesn't put up the same numbers he was putting up doesn't mean he was worn out. I didn't see Boyle lose a step in his game, he just wasn't potting goals the way he was. There are dryspells for most 20 goal scorers...it's usually why t hey aren't 30 or 40 goal scorers...rocket science...

Madden and Halpern are stop-gap 4th line centers that would provide veteran presence, penalty killing reinforcements so we don't have to lean so heavily on Dubinsky and Callahan to kill penalties.

Who do you want to center the 4th line if it's not a guy like Madden or Halpern? Because Boyle moving to LW is inevitable, especially since he's going to get a pay raise and the best situation the team could put him in to duplicate his numbers this year would be to move him to LW, whether it's on the 3rd line or the 4th line.
Thank you.

Last edited by Noonansgoal: 06-17-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote