View Single Post
Old
06-18-2011, 02:58 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
No, I think it's Spacek, Gill and Yemelin that are mythical creatures to you.
I see Spacek and Gill as #5s with the ability to do some #4 with the right partner (and a healthy Spacek may be better than that, though that might unfortunately be a mythical creature).

I see Yemelin as a guy who should grow into a top-4 NHLer if he's not at that level already. I've heard that assessment of his skill from commenters with diverse points of view. Keep in mind, when talking about Yemelin, that this is a seasoned pro who's been a minute-muncher in a tough pro league. He isn't a raw recruit.

I think my most controversial opinion would probably be about Gorges, whom I view as a solid second-pairing D-man, with not a lick of offense but excellent defense. No matter what flaws may be ascribed to his game, ultimately Gorges keeps the enemy from getting scoring chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Unlike your failing arguments with Lafleur's guy about why the habs lack of scoring is attributable to bad luck, on the issue of Boston's defence you don't have corsi numbers to misuse, in fact you don't have anything but your opinion.
Ference has had slightly negative Corsi with neutral zonestart and moderately weak competition. This isn't bad. But pretty much everyone on the Habs has either higher Corsi, tougher competition, or both. This isn't very surprising though; Julien leans heavily on Chara for his tough minutes (duh) and the minutes of the rest of the unit are easier as a result. Montreal's deeper unit allows Martin to spread the toughs around a bit more, though when Markov was in the lineup, he got Chara-type minutes (although fewer of them).

As for Boychuk, he was outchanced by virtually everyone he faced in the playoffs.

We don't have scoring chances data for Boston outside of the playoffs, unfortunately; we would be able to get a clearer picture if we did, and figure out if there's any truth to the notion that the Bruins forced shots to the perimeter. We do know it didn't really happen in the playoffs.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote