View Single Post
Old
06-18-2011, 02:59 PM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
More on Akeson (apologies if you've read some of this before)

Partial article excerpts with links:

Over the course of four seasons with the Rangers, Akeson has recorded 249 points (68G, 181A) in 193 games.

Akeson will attend Flyers rookie camp this summer where he hopes to impress the Flyers staff.

“I just want to show my skill and offensive ability but also be responsible defensively. You go there and want to be a playmaker and sniper and stuff like that but defense always comes first. I just want to be able to be trusted when they put me on the ice and hopefully they give me a shot.”

Some scouting reports list Akeson as a ‘soft’ player with a slender build who doesn’t have enough elite speed or skill to play in the NHL. Whatever the case, Akeson doesn’t think so.

“It’s a little tough (to compare my game), but I guess I’m pretty good mold of Claude Giroux,” he said “He’s a pretty good buddy of mine and I like to look to him so I try to compare my game after his.”

Akeson wouldn’t commit if we will turn professional after his junior season.

“The flyers are a great organization and I’m happy to be a part of it. Hopefully we can keep up the success in the future.”

http://thehockeyguys.net/?p=2993

---------------

“He’s got a special gift. He can see the ice like not a lot of players can. He’s got that extra patience with the puck. Everything is moving fast but, I think, in his head, it looks like it’s in slow motion. He gives himself that extra time so he can make those players.”- Kitchener Rangers Captain Gabriel Landeskog

“He’s got elite vision, he’s got elite passing ability. That’s what separates him, he is able to make plays that other guys can’t make. I think his passing level, his hockey sense, are at a pro level right now.”- Kitchener Rangers GM/Head Coach Steve Spott

http://flyersfaithful.com/2011/04/25...-jason-akeson/

Additional Quotes:

"Akeson wasnt drafted bc his first draft year he broke his wrist was out a lot of games. His second draft year - who knows. He hasnt really started producing before this year. He was ranked on Central Scouting his second draft year i believe but kinda just fell out.

I think Akeson has the potential to be a really good 3rd liner to pretty good 2nd liner. Basically in a weak draft year he is about just as good as a 29th or 30th draft pick."

----------

"With a career regular season points-per-game average of 1.29, it’s unfathomable as to why an NHL team didn’t use a draft pick on him at some point over the past two years, although he was invited to the Anaheim Ducks training camp this past summer. "

"Skill is clearly not a hindrance, as the Orleans, Ont., native has superior on-ice vision, slick hands and is a decent skater who competes at both ends of the ice and along the boards."

"At 5-foot-11 and 183-pounds, Akeson likely wasn’t passed over because of his size, as there are much smaller players with half the skill among the 422 players drafted in ’08 and ’09."

"Perhaps the biggest knock on Akeson is that, previous link aside, he is not the flashiest player and doesn’t own a dominant trait that would make him stand out from the rest. He also made his OHL debut during a brief second-half stint as a 17-year-old and wasn’t a full-time player until he was 18, which likely affected his exposure among NHL scouts."

"Playing in the shadows of players like Jeremy Morin, Jeff Skinner and John Moore, who were all first or second round picks in the past two years, likely factored in as well."

http://dusterpuck.com/?tag=jason-akeson
Akeson is an overage player. He's playing Juniors as a 21 year old. That needs to be taken into consideration.