View Single Post
Old
06-18-2011, 04:10 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We can be competitive with Wiz instead of Markov. He'll be less of an injury risk, is younger and at this point might even be the better player.
Wiz, much as I like him and like players of his type, is not going to be as good as Markov and is never going to be. But I think you underestimate Markov. He is in the Pronger class of #1 D-men.

Quote:
Spacek can go away for all I care.
Spacek gets a bad rap that he doesn't really deserve.

Quote:
So then you figure we'd be better off now with Markov instead of JVRD and Giroux? I guess you feel the same about us keeping Koivu instead of dealing for Bobby Ryan too.
Koivu was not as good as Markov. I think #1 D-men like Markov are more impactful than top forwards unless you get to the Crosby level. A guy like Markov is the kind of D-men teams trade the farm to get, and only noncompetitive teams give them away if they can help it. The Habs are not noncompetitive.

Quote:
In the last three years his ES goals have dropped from 12 to 7 to 4. I know you don't really value goals but it doesn't surprise me in the least that he's showing this kind of decline.
The point of Gomez is not him personally scoring goals.

Quote:
So where do you figure we'll be next year in terms of offense? Top 5? Top 10? Tell us.
Barring exceptional circumstances (Plekanec lost for the season, that sort of thing), and of course assuming the team maintains its current level of puck possession (which I expect them to) and has a strong PP again (which I also expect them to)... I think we can reasonably expect the Habs to be top-third in offense, which would mean top-10. They certainly generated enough scoring chances this year that they should have been there.

Who knows, they may even get lucky and end up with a fluke 'up' year.

Quote:
And you figure that Gomez is a 70 point guy next year too?
Gomez should normally get his 40ish points at even strength, plus whatever he gets on the power play. Call it in the 55-60 range, depending on how much PP time the Habs get and whether he ends up on the first wave or not. Frankly, I couldn't care less about what he gets individually on the PP so long as the team as a whole is effective there. Gomez is there as a catalyst for 5-on-5 play.

Quote:
I realize that all shots are factored in. What I'm asking is if GA and GF are measured as a separate number giving it more weight?
No, and that would be silly. The stat is intended to measure puck possession; if you counted it in seconds, you wouldn't give a 10-second bonus for a goal for and a 10-second penalty for a goal against, now, would you?

Quote:
If not, then maybe they should create a new stat that includes it.
And what would "they" be trying to measure by doing that?

There are holistic stats that try to measure the overall contribution of players -- look up GVT for an example, or anything by Alan Ryder. The problem is that they avowedly do not distinguish between luck and skill, and also do not factor in context such as ice time, strength of competition, or strength of teammates.

The problem with including goals-for and goals-against in calculations is the relative rarity of goals, and the importance of other factors (notably, goaltending) in them.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote