View Single Post
Old
06-19-2011, 09:22 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I understand the points made by you and Provolone, but the reality is that the Rangers are probably the closest team to the Bruins in terms of style of play. Does that mean the Rangers have to copy the Bruins? No, but it does give us an idea of what this team should do.

The thing about the Bruins is not that they built from the net out, as several teams do it and don't always succeed (and personally I believe that Bruins built down the middle at center instead of from net). A successful team could be built any way. It could follow the "Red Wings model", the "Predators model", the "Devils model" or any other way of building the team. The most important thing though, and the thing that makes the Bruins so successful, is that they are all on the same page as a team. Each players playing style compliments their line-mates playing style, or their defensive partners well. When somebody is injured, somebody else could step into the injured players role and fit seamlessly with his new line-mates.

You don't have to be bigger, tougher, more skilled, or faster. You just need to be on the same page.

That is why the Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan line is our best line, and Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust is right up there as well. That is why the defensive pairings of Staal-Girardi and McDonagh-Sauer worked so well together this season.

You could go on a battlefield with a machine gun that shoots more rounds per minute (goals) than any gun in the world, but if it isn't well oiled, it's not going to be effective.

The Rangers are drafting and trading for players that are all on the same page in my opinion, so the Rangers are doing it right. Werek didn't fit, so they brought in Lindberg. Horak wasn't part of the future, so they brought in Erixon.
Horak became expendable because we got a chance to add a premier prospect d-man not because he couldn't have had a future with the Rangers. The rest I can pretty much agree with. Still--I don't think you will win unless you have a good offensive team--but there's no way you're going to win without good goaltending and a very strong defense.

Size and physicality played a part in cup finals as well. The series started with Burrows and Lapierre pulling some ******** stunts and the heavy hitting of Rome and Torres. The Bruins used Burrows and Lapierre's antics and Rome's hit on Horton as motivation and by the end of the series had beaten the Canucks up pretty good. It wasn't just on the scoreboard that they beat Vancouver but all over the ice.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote