Thread: Plan B
View Single Post
Old
06-19-2011, 07:36 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
OK, let's say Brad Richards decides to resign with the Stars. Or The Kings trade for his rights at the draft and sign him before July 1st. Or The Leafs offer him a contract he can't refuse.

What is the Rangers Plan B?

I don't see any offensive free agents that excite me. Tomas Fleischman maybe but that's about it. Anyoine else out there?

So that leaves the trade market.

My initial thought is to inquire about Paul Stasny. He was reportedly available at the trrade deadline last year and he certainly fills the bill of a front line center. He, of course, comes with a stiff price...at least 3 young assets. But the alternative?

And one other thought -- what about Alexander Radulov? Would you trade assets for him? I would based on what I have seen and heard

Other thoughts?
I think the Rangers can obtain him for 2 reasons. Colorado needs more defense and the Rangers have a lot of depth at that position.

Secondly, if Colorado and the Rangers work out a deal where the Av's pick up one or two of our "d" men (depending), they're still in a position to either draft Larsson (and continue building up their defensive core with the additions of E. Johnson, Larsson and ? "d" man from the Rangers) or pick up a high end forward prospect and probable second line Center (who will either play with or play center in between Matt Duchene and Ryan O'reilly).

After all, even if Edmonton selects RN-Hopkins, Colorado could still wind up grabbing a center who will prove to be just as good in the long run (someone like Couturier, Strome, Huberdeau, or Landeskog who is a winger, but still might be the best player in the draft).

Which ever way they go, Colorado still owns the #11 pick where they might find yet another gem(i.e.,McNeil, Morrow, Zibanejad, etc..). So using Stastny as trade bait might make sense especially if his hof dad really pissed off the wrong people in the organization.

***After saying all of this, I'm sure there's maybe close to a 1% chance that any of this comes true, and the Rangers/Av's will have no interest at all in making a deal on draft day.

I thought of another possible deal between the Rangers and the Oilers that would bring Ales Hemsky to NY, but it's nothing more than an idea or food for thought. The Oilers are another team we all know are in need of established and/or up and coming "d" men. They have more than enough young talented forwards to build the team around. Who knows what Slats has up his sleeve. Better be good!

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote