View Single Post
Old
06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
They also thoroughly dominated Vancouver in their four victories and outscored the Cancuks 23-8...people are seemingly forgetting that Boston has a balanced and deep forward corps, which includes the leading goal scorer and points leader from the playoffs (Krejci).
Yes, exactly. There's a reason why they dominated them and it all started with goaltending, and then Vancouver lost two regular Dmen (sounds familiar..).

The Bruins also got a relatively easy ride to the POs.
Faced Montreal that were without key players, and despite it, the Bruins needed 7 games to squeak into the next round by a goal.
Then, they end up facing a Philly team that is missing their MVP in Pronger on top of having a coach that lost his mind and opted to go with a proven average back up instead of a promising rookie at the first sign of nervousness. To no surprise, it was an easy ride for the Bruins.
After they get the Lightning, and early in game 5, they get a lucky break as they have all year+POs, Bergenheim gets injured. His scoring depth gave TB a very strong push during the POs. His loss was noted. Still, they needed the help of a collapsing Roloson in order to advance and could only do so, again, in 7 games by one goal.

They get to the finals. Despite losing game 1, they get another favorable bounce, the Canucks lose their best Dman in Hamhuis after he threw a powerful hit on their biggest PF. Game 3 comes, and you finally think they might have met their match when Horton gets creamed down the middle. Finally, a bounce that didn't go their way...or so we thought...Suspension comes around, Rome out for the series, forcing the Nucks to play without 2 regular Dman including their best.
Despite this, they still, for the 3 straight series, needed very weak goaltending from the opposition in order to pull yet another Game 7 victory.
As I said, despite all these favorable advantages going Boston's way, they still needed Thomas to be the Conn Smythe in order to advance.

Krejci is indeed the PO leading scorer by 1 point, in front of Sedin, and he has to thank Luongo for his help in making that happen. You're also talking about the same Krejci that was limited to 1pt versus Montreal. Not to mention, Krejci and Sedin (as well as their teammates) all played at least 7 more games then their opponents, so I would hope they'd be leaders. Their numbers aren't particularly impressive however, it's the first time since 2002-2003 that the scoring leader in the POs averages less than 1pt/gp. It's not like you have the new superstar in David Krejci. Not taking anything away from him, he's a great player, but no need to pimp him out.

I strongly doubt Boston's capable of a repeat. I actually wouldn't be surprised if they don't even clinch their division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You hit the nailonthe head. Three teams took the Buins to seven games but only one (the Habs) did it on the basis of its goaltending. Roloson and Luongo failed their teams. But if you compare the skaters on the Habs with the Bolts, Canucks, and even the Flyers, the Habs come in behind them. In order for the Habs to climb higher they have to improve at several positions. The D was compromised by injuries, the forwards by not being good enough at C. I excuse Plekanec because he had densive and PK responsibilities and he scored a criucial SH goal in game 7. But that toad whose name I won't mention did what we expect of toads.
Yes, but that could change as early as next year.

MaxPac didn't play half the year but he was slowly coming into his own. He certainly made a case for himself to be used on the top6. He tallied up 20pts in 28GP in 2011 and was one of our better players during that period.

DD was producing at a .5 rate which is great for a rookie. He can certainly provide some scoring depth from the bottom two lines, and adds some more depth for the PP as well. His skating might not be the best, but it didn't prove to be problematic last year.

Eller, despite not scoring, was impressive imo. The way he battles around the boards, controls and protect the pucks, are very important skills. If Gauthier is able to sign a top 6 forward from the open market (Jagr or whoever else), then it opens up a possibility of playing Eller and AK together. They shown good things together last year and I feel AK would benefit from not always being the bigger guy of his line. I think playing on the 3rd line with less pressure, versus weaker opponents, would be great for him, and therefore, be great for Eller too.

If those three young guys can continue their progression, then we could have the same depth the other teams you mentioned have (don't think TB has much more of it than us however, but they do have three superstars). Not to mention, the return of guys like Weber, Gorges and Markov (assuming they'll both sign soon enough) as well as the addition of Emelin over slower guys like Hammer, Sopel and Mara will surely contribute to an increase in puck moving and speed.

So ya, last year, those guys were faster. Next year however, not necessarily true for all of them.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote