View Single Post
Old
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

vCash: 500
Stereotyping players based on where they were born is absolutely ridiculous, but the fact remains that Championship caliber teams are stocked with players who aren't "soft". To clarify, I don't just mean players who shy away from physical contact; I mean players who don't have to mental fortitude to work through difficult situations, to be resilient when asked to do something outside of their comfort zone, and who aren't driven to win with a high compete level.

I don't care where you were born if you have a high compete level, work ethic, and will to win (Krejci, Czech = Yay; Marleau, Canadian = Nay). Gaborik, thus far in his career, has not exhibited those things. Blame it on being "snakebitten" or injured, but there were large stretches of last season (and a good bit of his Wild tenure) where he simply looked disengaged. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt based on how he produced in 09-10, but it doesn't look good at the present moment.