View Single Post
Old
06-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Leetch3

vCash: 500
i'm all for bringing him back if its for 1.5 mil/year or less. he was great last year and you need to have some veteran presence. and i'm ok with a 2nd year cause it likely lowers the salary each year and he isn't 35 so we can get rid of the salary if kids push him out of the lineup (and he has trade value if you decide to move him later). so i see minimal risk in that 2nd year and would much rather him back than prospal for that reason.

and i know that its HF and everyone wants all the kids playing but lets just stop and think about the fact that we could be looking at a team where the guy most deserving of the nickname 'gramps' is only 32. i remember a time (when free agency started at 31) when 32 was young for the rangers lol. i want kids playing too but it might not be terrible if 1 or 2 of the guys are old enough to rent a car on the road LOL

as for concerns of him blocking guys like hagelin or grachev. hagelin has yet to play a pro-camp and the final 30-40 games last year grachev finally showed he can play in the ahl. neither guy is someone that would be hurt from time in hartford and neither is a guy that you pencil into the lineup now. if they come to cap and show they deserve a spot then you can trade a guy like fedotenko or feds becomes a perfect 13th forward. he is not the type of guy that will 'block' a deserving kid. but if those kids can't beat him out for a spot then they probably aren't ready anyway.

honestly my biggest concern about bringing him back is that feds-boyle-prust was so good last year that if we don't upgrade stepan's wingers, i think his line will become the 4th line and i'd worry that stepan won't get enough ice time to develop...but i guess saying your '4th line' is too good is one of those 'good problems to have'

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote