View Single Post
Old
06-21-2011, 08:15 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
...and that is based on ABSOLUTELY nothing.

I would assume to get DD to sign for two years you had to offer a little more. He might of gotten DD on a one year deal for 650K or something, but what incentive would DD have of signing a two year deal that low??
It's pretty simple. Growing up guys like Desharnais and Darche dreamed of one day wearing the jersey. And not just from a gift shop, one which will be used for playing on the habs! These guys are living their boyhood dream. They probably hear 800k and go "cha ching" because making 1.5 million even on Anaheim simply does not compare for them to playing for the team they dreamed about growing up.

Of course they're going to sign a discount, let me ask you something, if you were a projected 2.5 liner (not quite 2nd but very good 3rd liner) and you were offered your dream job but at a pay cut, would you go to Anaheim for the 1.5 million knowing full well if you take the 2 year 800k per from the habs that you might retire here and make all the money you'll ever need anyways?

A lot of these guys live the simple life. Not everyone is Jagr who gambles and lives a lavish life. If you see the Darche video on youtube you'd see he lives a very modest life. You wouldn't even think he's a guy making 700k+ a year. These guys are living the dream and I commend them for signing these reasonable contracts. It's just too bad we don't have a Quebecois superstar with the same mentality.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote