View Single Post
Old
10-17-2003, 10:40 PM
incawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Except this Center that you guys don't seem to like has more offensive skill then any of you centermen - and would have the third most on your team. If you Think Comrie wouldn't put up Morrison numbers + with that line then you're kidding yourself. Umberger would be below Torres, Rita, Mikhnov on our Left side for young kids/prospects - so there is absolutely ZERO interest in him. Cooke would only clog up our forward situation more then it already is (we have lots of Cookes already thanks). If Burke had the chance to get Comrie for what you guys are proposing, not only would accept, but he'd do cart-wheels all the way to Kevin Lowes office so that he could hit the send button on Lowes fax to the NHL about the trade!
I'll agree with you that Comrie may be able to put up comparable offensive numbers to Morrison, but Mo's biggest contribution to the top line is he defensive play. Naslund and Bertuzzi - to put it mildly - aren't very responsible in their own end. Without a center who is very strong in his own end, the line falls apart.

I do not think that Burke would trade Cooke and Allen for Comrie. Although the value may be close, the Canucks are looking for a long playoff run. Substituting a physical defenseman and a grinder who can chip in offensively for a small scorer is not a recipe for playoff success. Besides, where would Comrie fit in? Like I said, there's no way he would displace morrison on the top line, henrik is the center on the second line (and he's not going anywhere), and the third/fourth lines are both checking/energy lines.

The whole point is moot anyway, since the oilers and canucks are not about to make any trades of significance with each other.