View Single Post
Old
06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Montreal gets far more exposure (even if you just count Canada) than any of those Southern state teams. It's a huge advantage.
I think you overestimate the amount of exposure Montreal gets in English-language media outside of Montreal. It's more than most of the southern teams, but only because most of those teams are terrible. TSN talks about Montreal only because they kind of have to. The US media don't treat them as any more relevant than those non-playoff southern clubs.

Quote:
And again, look at the Theo example. There's no way he should've beaten Iggy and he wouldn't have except he played for Montreal.
Theo took a weak Montreal club to the playoffs with a .931 save percentage; 50 goals from Iggy or not, the Flames missed the playoffs and it wasn't close. Stupid as it is, team success matters in the voters' minds; if the Flames had made the playoffs, Iggy would've won.

Yet another reason why awards voting is terrible. It gets you a lot of press and it gets you in the HoF but it's a lousy way to determine who's better.

Quote:
They WERE comparable players. Kaberle has slipped and Markov hasn't managed a complete season in two years.
Markov has always been better than Kaberle, but the two were comparable: quiet, non-physical types who'd never have gotten the credit they deserve because of their playstyle and a weird notion that being a good offensive defenseman necessarily means you are weaker at defense.

Quote:
I think that this team has been inconsistent for a long time and until this changes, I'm not going to sit here and view them as a 100 point team. And if Price isn't amazing last season, we aren't close to even getting the points we did.
Well, you also have to factor in that the average goalie facing the Habs was significantly better than Price. That's much less likely to happen again than Price suddenly becoming league-average.

Quote:
Go post this in the HF history boards. I don't think you'll get many folks who agree with you. And I didn't say skater, I said player.
Well, then the Habs are set right? If Price is going to be their best player a la Tim Thomas, they could win a Cup like the Bruins just did.

I'm not putting any question about the strength of any Habs player to the general HFBoards population. Too much enmity against the Habs; you'll never see them get the credit they deserve.

Quote:
I don't. And it's been proven out over the years.
No. It's been blamed over the years because it's the easy explanation. Sometimes to the breaking point (see the Philly series in 2008). It's never actually been the real problem.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote