Old
06-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Homer much?

It could've been a 4-5 game Habs win more than it could've been a 4-5 game Bruins win. Montreal outplayed the Bruins at even-strength in the first five games, and the Bs were lucky to escape despite Thomas's heroic.

I think you're falling in the common trap of buying the Bruins hype and overestimating them. Winning the Cup isn't helping, but you need to be realistic about your club and not set expectations for them they don't have the horses to fulfill. I'd double-check the Boston roster. The Bruins' forward corps isn't all that... but they especially need better defensemen, they're really quite shallow at that position.

I do agree with you that I wouldn't use the playoff series as a decision point whether the Habs are a contender, but that's because I don't think the Bruins are a good measuring stick for that, Cup or no Cup. Taking the Bruins to 7 games doesn't mean much, everyone took Boston to 7 games, they made it a specialty of escaping long series this year (which also speaks to their actual level of play).

Washington and Pittsburgh remain the class of the East, with Philly very close, and Tampa will need to be added to that list, I think. Boston had an "up" year, but they're not to that level. I don't think being better than Boston necessarily means you are a serious Cup Contender (and mind, I think Montreal already are anyway).
They are the cup champs which means they are at that "level". And they did sweep your highly regarded Philly. Thomas put the Bruins behind the 8 ball early in each of the 1st 2 games while Price played lights out. Thats the only reason it wasn't a 4 or 5 game series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
If not for Pacioretty having his neck broken , we could have a very different conversation right now.
Max is a non factor, he'd be just another Pouilot.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote