View Single Post
Old
10-18-2003, 04:13 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Under your lines, there would be no real fourth line or gritty line. The Habs would be terribly small down the middle which will expose the team against larger, stronger teams. Koivu is more physical and capable down low than Juneau, but he is manhandled by the Sundins of the league. I'm not saying the solution is Higgins or Begin -- both would also be exposed against that same opposition (for different reasons than strength). But I'd rather be looking at building a team for the long term (ie. bringing in youth like Higgins, who in my mind is NHL ready), than looking at maintaining two bandaid players (Perreault, Juneau).
Pretty hard for me to disagree with these comments. Over the past few years, the team has always been considered to be one of the softest in the league... now that we have the elements to make things changed, I doubt the coaching staff will leave a good quality goon in Darren Langdon and a good agitator in Steve Begin in the stands. Unless these guys aren't able to play under Julien's system, and cause multiple goals for the other teams, I can't see the need of having them out of the line up. Yes, there may be more talented that could step in and take their spot, but at some time you need guys that can change the momentum of a game only with a bodycheck or a good fight.

I'd say the most appropriate decision for Julien to take is to add a defensively responsible guy (perhaps Dackell and Sundstrom would be wise choices) on the 4th line to support Langdon and Begin and make sure the mistakes they make from time to time doesn't affect the team.