View Single Post
Old
08-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Qui Gon Dave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10
This is so true. There were people on my varsity high school team making our tennis team with very little to no experience, and our team was extremely good. Its a much easier sport to learn. Every person on the hockey team has at least been playing competetively for four years.
I think some of you guys are ripping tennis a bit too hard here. While it isn't a more physically demanding sport to play than hockey, the mental aspect of that game is evil. And im not talking about playing a friend on a summer afternoon and being able to hit the ball over the net into the right part of the court.

Competitive tennis requires a high endurance level and concentration to match. Playing at the professional level is more difficult than i can imagine. Not only do you have to have the ability to out-think and out-power your opponant but what if you are playing a bad game? In hockey, you are part of a team, you always have people who will watch your back and cover for you. No such luck in tennis. If you play competitively and are struggling during a game, you have to make yourself play better, somehow. You can't go and talk to your coach (against the rules) and you can't take your frustrations out on an opponant by pulling their shirt over their head and giving them a thrashing.

You are out there on your own and you have to have incredible focus if you are going to outplay someone who is better than you for 2 1/2 hours.

But i suppose some of the views expressed so far are from people who never have an interest in picking up a raquet and playing competitively. And thats fair enough. but don't slight another sport just because you haven't ever been bothered to think about or try to do what it takes to be good at it.

As for the person talking about how tennis is like freelancing, yeah, at higher levels if you earn enough you can pick and choose events, but for the people rated around 250 in the world and below, tennis IS their job. it is their source of income and there aren't a lot of big money tournaments open to people lower down the rankings. And as for travelling, i know a lot of the british youngsters who do the tour can't always afford to travel overseas and when they can, they can't afford to take their coaches with them. Would you go to an away game in hockey, half way around the world without any of your coaches and think it was gonna be easy? So instead of travelling overseas they play the UK circuit and there is a bit of money available there. But even the people in charge of UK tennis don't help the younger players out much. they don't provide the neccessary support, financial or otherwise to all the players out there. If you are one of the top 4 or 5 in the country you are ok, but below that, you are pretty much on your own.

Anyways, rant over. If hockey was not included on that list then i think that is a major oversight. As stated before, you have to take so much into account when playing hockey, moreso than most other sports i'd imagine.