View Single Post
Old
06-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Wow, a lot of you seem to have thoughts about Hamrlik that just seem totally disconnected from my own subjective reality.

I would have thought it was a no-brainer to give Hamrlik an offer. Any team in the league can use him, and he has been a rock for us, so an offer should be automatic. It would be great to have him back.

There's zero conflict with the number of other players signed, or hoped-to-be-signed, because frankly Hamrlik is better than most of them. And depth on defense is very important.

The only caveats in the whole Hamrlik case are the $$$ and term. You make him an offer, no-brainer. But it's an offer that factors in his age and projection of a decreased role. If he's on board with that, great.
Voice of reason!

I'm not even that worried about the cap hit - anything up the 4mil would be digestible, as long as it's for only 1 year.

I think many folks maybe don't realize how much of a skill defensive decision making is? Gap control, covering the right forward/passing lane, making the right pass out of danger... Hamrlik has some valuable attributes.

I also many forget how many injuries teams regularly incur on defense... 8 deep is not a bad thing. I'm actually willing to bet #9 D, whether it be Diaz or Nash, gets a good amount of NHL games this year.