View Single Post
Old
06-22-2011, 11:20 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Varly's style could use some refining to be more efficient. But it nice having someone in our pool of potential goalies that can be very aggressive, yet has the althleticism to recover. Don't you think?

A nice skill set to have, this poster thinks. But I am not in the game. I think its short sighted to hold it against him as a young player. Let him sort it out.

I feel its just speculation that his style is what caused his injuries. It could have been a rut in the ice, could it not?
you can feel that its just speculation if you wish. ive heard this sentiment from caps officials and coaches for some time. that he relies on his athleticism too much and he becomes vulnerable to injury as a result.

who said having one of the two goalies to be aggressive and athletic is a bad thing? dont take that conclusion from my comments.

what you can take is this. at 22 years old its hard to tell which of these goalies becomes the best. neuvirth has shown he can play an entire championship playoff run, twice. varlamov has shown he can be lights out when its live or die. they both have room to improve, though and that will be critical.

its like saying that holtby is going to be the best of the bunch because of his puck handling skills. it could work out that way, but we have also seen him give the puck away and an empty net goal result. as with varly if holtby learns how to properly use his skills, he can be outstanding. misuse of those skills can also be their downfall.

only time will tell about those things