View Single Post
Old
06-22-2011, 12:47 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I dunno, I think Duchene is a pretty smart player. He's better than his brains would predict because of his skating and energy, but he wouldn't stand out the way he does without his ability to process the game. He's no Datsyuk in that regard, but he's definitely above average.

Yup. AFAIC, you don't truly understand the sport (and this applies to all team sports, not to mention most things in life) if you don't understand this one rudimentary concept. A pretty successful hockey man I had the pleasure of speaking to once told me that hockey sense, or whatever you want to call the mental aspect of the game that encompasses things like positioning, timing, and decision making is (and I am paraphrasing here) "the key to everything. As a coach, your worst nightmare, other than a player on your roster who has serious attitude or work ethic issues (which is a relative rarity at professional levels), is a player who doesn't understand where to be, when to be, and what to do when he's there. You cannot trust that player, and thus, in playing such a player, he becomes a risk that in almost every case is not worth taking."

Kudos to you, young man. You get it. So sad that so many do not.
I agree hockey sense is very important. But of course as others noted its not everything. If it was id like to think i would be in the NHL lol. To make things harder everyone learns differently so therefore there idea of hockey sense is skewed in that direction. For example Cze learn a more east west game well Canadians learn a more North south game and therefore they define hockey sense based on how they learned. Of course there is a standard hockey sense in certain situations but it a tough one for sure.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote