View Single Post
Old
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
I wasn't comparing them in terms of draft position or even their career potential. I was comparing them in terms of being smallish, talented guys that put up big numbers in Jrs., came into camp with an outside chance of making the team, probably not making it at first, being sent to the AHL for seasoning and then eventually earning some NHL time and a spot on a roster. In those ways, their situations are/were/could be similar. Do i think Akeson is the next Claude Giroux? I wouldn't bet on it, but he's in that same type of mold. An undersized, talented kid who people overlooked at times, but whose determination and skill repeatedly shone through. Will it translate to the pros? I think Akeson is a good prospect that has the potential to be a top six forward in the NHL someday. Drafted or not, the Flyers were willing to sign Akeson to a contract paying him over 2 million dollars, so, they likely see that potential as well.
There's nothing here but the same ridiculous comparisons to Giroux. Giroux was expected to make the team coming into camp. He had some dental issues that caused to lose weight and that was part of the reason he was sent down for a few months to get his strength back. Akeson has a very, very outside shot at becoming a top 6 NHL Forward. And any comparisons to Giroux in any way not only are ridiculous, but completely inaccurate.

Quote:
And you never addressed my question that I asked (in so many words) twice now.

I'll repeat again:

Ok let's assume that in this year's performance, being an overager was a factor for Akeson. What about his prior few seasons, when he wasn't an overager? He still produced at a pretty high level (>ppg) and continued to progress every year. Doesn't that imply that he didn't just excel because of his overage status, that there's more to it than that?
No it doesn't. If he was as highly thought of as you think he is, he would have been drafted. Players that produce in Juniors are a dime a dozen. Doesn't mean it will translate to an NHL career. Or to a top 6 NHL Forward. Take a look at the Junior numbers Blair Betts put up or almost any player in the NHL.

Quote:
Of course there are many examples of guys who put up points but don't have the goods to make it to the NHL. And Akeson may not make it, but it is my opinion is that Akeson will make it. Will he be a star? Not likely. But I think he makes it in at some point. That's my opinion, and you may not know it, but I'm usually correct. We'll see.
I haven't seen a post yet where you've been correct on a player. You have a hard enough time judging current NHL players.