View Single Post
Old
06-23-2011, 01:19 AM
I in the Eye

vCash: 500
I don't really know much about Leino, but this thread (and article posted in the thread) makes me wonder if he'd really work here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=903108

He might not fit with AV's vision or "expectations"... He might fit very well with the Sedins (if Leino can play rw), but I could also see him getting the Ballard treatment if he doesn't stick to the system (making turnovers due to backhand passes, etc.)... For a 2nd or 3rd liner, I think the Canucks need more of a "system"-type player... The system works very well here, so anyone brought in, IMO, should be very willing to learn, and able to play, the system...

Despite the injury issues, out of the three listed, my vote is Gagne... An off-the-list UFA player for me would be Brunette...

Brunette's winding down on his career, and I could see him taking a pretty cheap contract on a one-year deal to play on a contender like the Canucks... On a cheap contract, Brunette could slot in on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd (or 4th line) while playing sound defense, sound offense, and has a knack for scoring big goals... With the injury to Raymond, Brunette could slot into the 2nd line for, at least, the short term... He'd be another (around) 20-goal scorer (and veteran presence) on the roster, which IMO, would be huge for offensive depth... I think he'd be low maintenance, fit in well in the room, play well within the system, and tow the company line, pretty inexpensively...

If the options were Gagne, Brunette, Leino, or Laich... Making assumptions on salary and contract length, I think my vote would be (1) Gagne; (2) Brunette; (3) Laich; and (4) Leino

Last edited by I in the Eye: 06-23-2011 at 01:27 AM.
I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote