View Single Post
Old
06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Whale

vCash: 500
It won't be any of these guys, none of them are 'money-puck' enough for Gillis.

Laich and Leino are poor skaters, and Gagne is too expensive and enegmatic to fit well with this team. None of the three address the Canucks two needs - players who are willing to 'play outside the rulebook' when the refs throw it away, and players have cup rings.

I think that Scottie Upshall is a much better fit. He can play either wing, has great speed and is willing to play outside of the rulebook, which sadly seems to have been the undoing of this team in the final. Basically, he is a grittier and more versatile Mason Raymond. Could probably be had for $2.5.

The other guy that I look at is Corey Stillman. Two Cup rings, over 1,000 games in the NHL, and could actually organize the second PP into some kind of a threat. Yes, he is aging, but he did put up 16 points in 21 games down the strech. He would look good as the Mark Recchi of this team.

Other than adding one other real tough guy to the fourth line, like say Ben Eager who has both a ring and a willingness to stick up for his teammates when things get crazy, I would focus on getting Torres and Higgins re-signed.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Upshall Kesler Stillman
Higgins Malhotra Samuelsson
Torres Lapierre Hansen

Eager, Raymond (IR till at least the allstar break)

Not the biggest lineup, but if any team wants to start taking cheap shots at our star players there are plenty of guys who are willing to do the same right back.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote