View Single Post
Old
06-23-2011, 12:17 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If cap space is needed and the return for him is better than it would be for Carle/Versteeg or others, he'll go. Snider has pretty much offered a blank cheque to Bryz and if he signs here and we're in even worse cap trouble, pieces have to be moved.
I disagree.

First and foremost, the Bryzgalov contract would dictate whether Carter goes, imo. If it's 7 million, we have some serious salary to shed and I think it slightly increases the chances that Carter would go.

The return for Carter should be better than Carle/Versteeg because he is a better player. If your main objective in making a trade is to get cap space (which it is in our case), the first question you should ask is, out of the players who make significant money, "who is expendable?" not "who has value?".

A secondary goal should be what the return is, the primary goal should be gaining cap space. So then you weigh the expendability of a player versus the return he would get. For me, Carter is hardly in that equation. Carle, Hartnell, and Versteeg are first. Carle I believe is very expendable and would actually have good value. Some people differ however...