View Single Post
Old
10-18-2003, 09:04 AM
choppystride

vCash: 500
I'm not lobbying to ship out Comrie but just commenting on a trade idea that was mentioned by another poster several days ago.

I think highly of Comrie and would rather have him back. But from everything that is being revealed at this stage, it doesn't look like it's happening. Even if Lowe can force Comrie to come back this year, I doubt he'll be motivated to play here long term.

Yes, Chistov will add to our gut on the wing. But how many of our wingers have his kind of skill level? In about 2 years I think the only current Oiler forward who will be his equal or better is Hemksy.

As for the center problem, we can just sign someone like Oates or Ronning to help us get thru this year. After all, it's not like we're contending for the Cup this year anyway.

As for the size problem, I've always thought it's an overrated issue. It hasn't prevented the Wings and Avs from winning. Hasn't helped the Flyers to win anything (at least not since the 70's). Besides, I think with the lineup we have this year, our smallish skilled guys will be spread out among all 4 lines such that each line will have a big guy. So I don't think size will be too much of a problem.

As a final thought, I think that if we have to trade a young high end (potentially franchise) player like Comrie, we should focus on getting the best return possible instead of being totally fixated on trying solve the most immediate needs.