06-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that last part. Apparently Zibanejad plays a very edgy, NA-style game, and carries a bit of a mean streak. I've seen various scouting reports saying that he might need to tone it down a little.

I agree with you completely about the offensive upside. Alot of people are looking at his SEL numbers and just assume that, because he plays a two-way game, that his ceiling as a scorer/playmaker won't be very high. 9 points in 26 games at age 17 vs. grown men in the SEL is nothing to scoff at; look at the numbers Nick Backstrom and Mikko Koivu recorded at that age. Plus, he's racked up points when playing vs. players his own age.

Personally, I'm going to be thrilled if we grab him at #7, and that's even if Strome is available. RNH, Larsson, Couturier, Huberdeau and Landeskog are the only guys I would take over him, and I don't think it's likely any of them will be available when we pick.
Zibanejad's had some people in the scouting world make mention of another tough-as-nails nordic draftee... Peter Forsberg. Not that it's fair to the kid to lump him in with an all-time great, but he's a good skating, solid-framed kid who plays a confrontational, physical style and has a developing offensive game. There's a lot to like there.

And I have to say, after having had a season most of us on the Sabres board started out looking at the very top of the draft prospects and slowly slid downward, there are a lot of guys in Winnipeg's wheelhouse that have a great deal of appeal. I'm envious.