View Single Post
Old
10-18-2003, 01:04 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Actually; Marcel turned 22 last week. He certainly has the size to be a force along the boards, and he shows glimpses of being a dominant corner man, but, just like Ward, he needs time. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent back to Hamilton when the injured players come back.
I really like what I've seen from Higgins; he looks to be better defensively than Hossa already, and certainly appears to have more jam.

Here's the forward lines I'd like to see before season's end:

Ryder Koivu Zednik
Higgins Ribeiro Ward
Bulis Juneau Dackell/Sunny
Langdon/Begin Kilger Sunny/Dackell
Langdon/Begin

Let's not forget that Hossa didn't exactly light it up in Hamilton last season; both Ward and Ryder player better, and so far this season both have shown more IMO. I'd like to see how Ward would do with 15+ mijutes of ice time per night on an offensive line - I think he may surprise some people. He made a back pass off the boards last game that only a player with offensive smarts can make. He also showed that he has a pretty good set of hands on his PP goal. If I'm not mistaken, Ward has had three shifts on the power play, and he has a goal to show for it. Not a bad average.

I think Hossa needs to go down to Hamilton and have the kind of AHL season Ward had last year. Then, next season, when Audette, Perreault, Dackell et al are gone, Hossa will have a full-time position if he's earned it.

Hossa was unreal in Hamilton last year. He started off slow (perhaps he was thinking he was going to make the Habs after his first callup the year before) He took a while to get going, but when he did, he was scoring goals left and right. I thought that they should have kept him down longer, but he was playing well.

But he didn't play well in Hamilton during last years playoffs. He was a disappointment for the most part, but he did have a few good games here and there.