View Single Post
Old
06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
NYRKING30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritikal View Post
While trading Gaborik would be an interesting idea to speculate on, I don't see it being done. Good GMs trade their players when their value is high (see Eric Johnson, Jaroslav Halak, etc.). Gaborik's current trade value is the lowest it has ever been, it would be downright foolish to trade him now unless the offer is a top-6 forward and a top-10 pick at the BARE MINIMUM, and that is just to keep Sather on the phone. At best, it would be a lateral move swapping out Gaborik for another elite goal scorer.

For these same reasons, it irks me when I see everyone willing to trade MDZ because of a sophomore slump. The way I see it, he had the "Marc Staal" complex. Staal was urged to try to be more offensive, and his overall game suffered until he reverted to his normal playing style, letting the offense come naturally as opportunities arose. MDZ needs to do what he does best: moving the puck up ice and generating scoring chances. With a player like MDZ, you have to let him be creative. How many goals did he single-handedly net Gaborik by threading 100+ foot passes?

I essentially see it as the result of this dump-and-chase, grind-it-out system. It will benefit the players that can do it well (Dubinsky, Callahan, Prust, Fedotenko, etc.), but create an additional challenge for those who cannot (Wolski, Gaborik, MZA, etc.). This is why one system for all four lines will not work. Let the pure offense be creative and generate offense instead of forcing them to dump the puck in at the red line and get beat by the opposition defenders or the goalie.

If we get Richards, I hope this entices Torts to allow the first line that creativity.

To answer the OP, If I had to think of a reasonable trade for Gaborik, I would have to say... Gaborik + Kundratek + a little more for a lateral move... wouldn't be worth it unless we can unload some of our D prospects for a big gun.
Sorry to go a little OT on the reply.
agreed

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote