Thread: Confirmed with Link: [CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick
View Single Post
Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 AM
goph94
Freezing

vCash: 500
I know I'm a newcomer to this board, but some of these comments just seem silly.

Based on the merits of this swap alone (not considering the implications of Laich leaving/resigning), I like this move. Brouwer is a tough forward with a scoring touch. He has shown the ability to score ~20 goals in a variety of circumstances. He's proven his versatility with CHI, and it can also be argued that the same versatility he carries as an asset sometimes hinders his overall production given the fact they had no problems putting him on the checking line. Furthermore, from what I've heard they've sometimes had him on a short leash and weren't at all hesitant to drop him down lines if he went a couple games without putting up numbers.

Lest we not forget, his performance dropped off after his shoulder injury back in April, which he ended up playing through into the playoffs. Yes, ideally I'd have expected some increased production from him this season, but there's a reasonable expectation that a healthy Brouwer (who is only 25 and is still entering his prime years) should be able to get back on the breakout track he established in 09-10 on his way to becoming a bonafide power forward in this league.

To me, that's the most important component of his game. He has the size to bull his way to the net and establish a physical presence in the offensive zone. And as some have mentioned, he was FIFTH in the NHL in hits this year. His forechecking alone is a big addition to the Caps, and something the team has sorely been lacking. Frankly, I feel that many fans overlook or underrate that part of the game. Even if the forecheck doesn't result in a big hit, a team that's able to utilize a good, disciplined forechecking game creates steady pressure on the opposing D-men making breakouts and transitions much more difficult. Just ask Tampa Bay... :|

Bottom line is that Brouwer is a good asset to have. And I'm willing to part with a LATE 1st rounder to get him. I can't help but think if the Caps had given up the 31st pick (and hence a 2nd rounder), the opposing voices would be quite a bit softer. In a draft that is commonly thought to be pretty damn mediocre, I think that's a fair trade.

goph94 is offline   Reply With Quote