View Single Post
Old
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
WG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
What I do find a bit ironic I must say, is the fact that we're okay with Gauthier trading away our future for rental players in Moore, Wisniewski, Sopel and company but we're not okay with doing the same with players who would actually be with the team for the long run. But hey, that's just me...
I don't know if you are just playing Devil's advocate or what, but trading 17th for Brouwer vs. trading for Moore, Wiz et al isn't directly comparable.

For one, the rental trades were made in season, when the choices are deal picks and prospects for help, or do without. At this time of year, Montreal's choices are deal 17th for Brouwer specifically, or wait until July 1 and get both Beaulieu and a similar type of player who costs nothing but the cash. Most people siding on the 'no' side are considering that we could acquire someone like Brouwer and still keep the 17th pick.

The other part is that for all of these rental trades, the sum total of what Montreal gave up was less than the 17th pick.

If some team came to PG and offered to take the 17th pick for #47, #50, a 4th round, a 5th round,and a scrub prospect you'd want the Habs to turn that down I hope.

WG is offline   Reply With Quote