View Single Post
Old
09-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
no facts to be found? no stats to back up your claim that Mika is better than Marty?
Fan, you and I have gone around on this as well. I'll try to write brief (though I'm afraid I'm going to get out of control....) thumbnails on the goalies.

Martin Biron

Honest question to you or anybody else: name me one thing Biron does better in 2005 than in 2000? I can't name anything. I'm not trying to be facetious, I mean it. He still has the same positioning problems, stickhandling problems. How many times do we still see him get caught in between on failed poke checks to give wide open nets? Still. He hasn't lead a team to the playoffs yet and I truly believe that 01-02 and 03-04 were legitimate playoff teams. By that I mean one of the 8 best teams in the East. And if it hadn't been for the Rigas catastrophe, I think 02-03 was a more talented squad than 01-02.

Mika Noronen

IMO, a better all-around goalie than Biron. I base this on watching both of them. I know Biron has guadier numbers. There are a lot of mediocre goalies who've had great numbers (Cechmanek, Cloutier, Brent Johnson). I see talent in Noronen beyond his numbers. Here's where I think the big difference is though: Biron has always played his best when the team in front of him is red-hot. Think the end of 01-02 and 03-04. That's great, but the team was also on the brink of out of contention by that point. Noronen has played well when the team in front of him has been terrible. By the end of 02-03 he was getting equivalent time to Biron and playing better. He had taken the starting job in December, 03-04, and if he hadn't been hurt might never have given it back. And that was with the worst Sabres team of the season in front of him. Unlike Biron, he picks up his teammates, he doesn't require being picked up by them.

Ryan Miller

The shine's off on Miller for a lot of Sabre fans now, I'm seeing. I'm becoming more cautious as well though I've hardly given up on him. There's not much I can really say other than he has the ability to dominate but looses focus too much. I'm not sure that'll ever be corrected.

Who would I trade? Simple, whoever I can get the biggest return from. But I'll say this, I'm tired of Marty Biron starting for the Sabres. He's shown me zero improvement since he joined the squad full time. I've seen it from Noronen. Miller's improved for the Amerks so we'll have to seen for sure in the NHL. But I'm just sick of the whole situation right now.