View Single Post
Old
06-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
JVR and Giroux would be there anyway though. They're adding Voracek and Brizgalov instead of Carter and Richards.

If we assume both Giroux and JVR make huge leaps this season they could be better but they're now a question mark. I certainly wouldn't say they're a sure thing to finish ahead of us now.
both JVR/Giroux, if they pick up where they left off in the post-season, are strong bets to put up career years, then they add Voracek (also poised for a step up), Simmonds (ditto... he looked awesome in the p/o), Bryzgalov (interesting to see how he handles playing for a favorite vs a cinderella squad, but if he maintains his level of play he's a huge upgrade) and finally Schenn, who is an unknown, but if he makes the team could quite easily be an impact producer given the talent he's surrounded with.

Quote:
Long term they look scary. Schenn, Giroux, JVR and others... that's a great core to work with. But I don't understand the reasoning behind signing Brizgalov now though if you're going to rebuild. They should've gone after somebody like Rask instead.
i don't know how much of a "re-build" this would be. They moved 2 top-6 players, while adding 1 top 6 player, 2 top 9 players, and a top-tier goalie... given how balanced/deep their team already was, that's a net upgrade imo, not too mention the picks.

Quote:
We should go out and trade vets to Burke for picks too. It's obviously the path to success...
as bad as the kessel trade was, it's hard to knock the way Burke has re-tooled the laffs. Asset-wise, he's done a pretty good job of building up their organizational depth while slowly improving the roster talent.

Quote:
On another note, look at how bad the East has become. There are question marks everywhere in this conference.

Pitts: What happens to Crosby & Malkin this year? They should still be good but...
Wash: Which OV shows up? Are they offensive or defensive?
Bos: Should be good to go but they could use Seguin to step up.
Philly: Hey, wha happen?
TB: Should be good but defense is an issue
NJ: Which team shows up?
MTL: Can they actually put it in the net? Is Markov actually going to be healthy?
NYR: Will probably land some other high priced FA in an effort to make the playoffs again.
as i posted above, at this point (and things can obviously change after summer moves are done),
i think there are 5-6 quality teams that will be battling for the top 4 spots

Pitt, Wash, Bost, Philly, TB, NJ...

then another 3 teams that might challenge for the upper group if things go right

Mtl, Buffalo, NYR...

then another 2-3 teams that could turn a corner if things go very right

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote