View Single Post
Old
06-25-2011, 04:31 PM
fredez

vCash: 500
Play Trevor Timmins - 2011 Edition

Time to put your money where your mouth is!

I did this same exercice back in 2004 and watching the results many years later is very interesting. Back in 2004, a lot of people disagreed with our late picks (How stupid were we to pick overragers Grabovski and Streit!) but it turned out that Timmins did better than any poster from this board. Which is exactly why he does this year in and year out and has seen so many more games than we simple mortals.

(I'll add a link to the 2004 thread when search is enabled)

So here are Timmins picks :

Rnd Pick Overall Team Player Pos Country Ht Wt Amateur League Amateur Team
1 17 17 MTL NATHAN BEAULIEU D CAN 6' 1" 179 QMJHL SAINT JOHN
4 6 97 MTL JOSIAH DIDIER D USA 6' 2" 199 USHL CEDAR RAPIDS
4 17 108 MTL OLIVIER ARCHAMBAULT LW CAN 5' 11" 176 QMJHL VAL-D'OR
4 22 113 MTL MAGNUS NYGREN D SWE 6' 1" 191 SWEDEN FARJESTAD
5 17 138 MTL DARREN DIETZ D CAN 6' 1" 193 WHL SASKATOON
6 17 168 MTL DANIEL PRIBYL C CZE 6' 3" 189 CZREP-JR. SPARTA JR.
7 17 198 MTL COLIN SULLIVAN D USA 6' 1" 196 HIGH-CT AVON OLD FARMS

----

Say which pick you disagree with and suggest ONE player you would pick in his place. The head scout can't suggest two-three players when it's time to make a pick! You can explain your reasoning.

Here are my choices :

1st round 17th
NATHAN BEAULIEU
I'm entirely satisfied with this pick. Who knew he would fall this far in the draft? I'm not scared of defensemen falling because many teams draft for organizational needs instead of BPA and it can make defensemen fall. See just last year with Fowler and Gormley.

4th round 97th
MICHAEL ST. CROIX
Mind you, I like the Didier pick. He had a very solid year in the USHL. But I feel like St. Croix is a very underrated player. He has amazing vision and he helped Dylan Wruck score 38 goals. He's not big, he's not fast but you can't teach vision and this guy has it. I would've taken a gamble on him at this point.

4th round 108th
MICHAEL MERSCH
Olivier Archambault is probably the only pick we made that I would without a doubt not have done. Very underwhelming season in the Q for the type of player he is. Mersch is a big winger already playing in the NCAA. Described as a nasty big checker. Very good season for a first year NCAA player.

4th round 113rd
MAGNUS NYGREN
Honestly had no clue who this guy was! But wow seems like a typical Timmins late round find! Teared the SEL a new one in his 22 games stint (point per game only behind Rundblad for any player under 24 in the SEL!). I love this pick!

5th round 138th
DARREN DIETZ
Big mean defenseman out of the WHL : I like! We seem to have ignored WHL defensemen in the past and they are good at developping big mean defensemen. I like this pick.

6th round 168th
DANIEL PRIBYL
Big right handed center! Lacked exposure since he did not play in internation tournaments for the Czechs. Had a great season in the U-20 Czech league (1.41 point per game pace). High reward potential, can't fault this pick.

7th round 198th
ZAKHAR ARZAMASTSEV
Already a solid player in the KHL, better production than Dmitry Orlov at the same age (on the same team). Who cares about the Russian factor at this point in the draft? Very surprised he went undrafted.

----

So, make your picks! And let's see how you fare against Trevor Timmins!

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote