View Single Post
Old
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
Never quite sure why Gilly got the whipping boy treatment in NY. While he didn't have a great sophomore year, at least he showed signs of progressing as opposed to MDZ who flamed out spectacularly (sadly). I thought Gilly was good down the stretch and very good in the playoffs- no surprise as he has always been a big game player.

That said, 2.1MM for a 6th or 7th Dman is just out of the question. Also, I think Slats is looking for MDZ to take that spot- and he gives us a lot of what Gilly could have, plus QB the PP.

I felt this way when San Jose let Matt Carle go, and now he is top pairing Dman on a very good Philly team, although he gets to play with Chris "Pure Evil" Pronger.

It says here that Gilly will catch on with a team and show that he is a workaday NHLer. I thought he had a great attitude, never became a problem when he was scratched, and worked his tail off to improve- and succeeded at it! He just wasn't physical enough, didn't have as good a shot as he needed to. Not a Torts guy. I for one feel like we gave up on him too early due to the contract numbers. He will blossom into a pretty good Dman with another team, the kid has character and talent- you watch.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote