View Single Post
Old
06-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Gruntfuttock

vCash: 500
Official 2011-2012 Providence Bruins Thread

Was looking for a Providence thread and didn't find one, so I thought I would do it. Since I rarely get to see the games, I'll be dependent on this thread most of the season.

It's looking like there will be lots of changes in Providence for next season. Bruce Cassidy will be the new head coach and many players (by all accounts, mainly scrubs) will be gone.

Hutchinson will hopefully be the #2 goalie and Courchaine in the ECHL. Khudobin, Schaefer an Dalton are all gone. Hopefully they are looking for a guy, who'd be ready to play at least 2 years in Providence, before getting even a whiff of the NHL. I'm thinking that's why Providence is still without a goalie. I heard a rumor that the Bruins were after one of the hottest free agent goalies in Europe, Iiro Tarkki. He was brought to Espoo by Bruins scout Jukka Holtari. But it was rumored that he wanted a legit chance of NHL action after only a year in the AHL. The one year contract he signed with Anaheim, also points to that.

Some guys who should be interesting and available, include Mark Dekanich. He's had some good numbers in Milwaukee and the Nashville organization is filled with younger goalies. Leonardo Genoni from Switzerland, who's been outplaying guys like Cristobal Huet, Jussi Markkanen and David Aebischer. Granted, he plays on a better team, but still, a good accomplishment from a young goalie. Justin Pogge is another guy. All these guys should be good enough for the #1 spot, and they're still young and developing.

The D looks to be already fine with Kampfer (AHL or 7th D in Boston), Bartkowski, Alexandrov, Cohen, Button, Warsofsky and Cantin under contract. I would think that McIver will be traded for a forward. I have no idea if Goulet is still in the plans. Don't know about Valabik. I hope he's kept as a 7th D in Boston, so Kampfer would get lots of playing time in Providence.

The forward group needs plenty of players. I don't know if guys like Cunningham, Chaput will be there, but even if they will, this team still lacks a couple of forwards. Riendeau is also a question mark. He's under contract, but is he good enough for the A? Whitfield would be very nice to have back. He could be the new captain, since Reich has already agreed to go to Germany. Don't know if MacDonald will be back.

Another rumor I heard, was that the Bruins were after another Holtari's old friends, former Flames prospect Juuso Puustinen, but he opted to sign with Nashville. And just like with goalies, many of the best free agent forwards in Europe are already gone. It'll be interesting to see what they do. But judging from those two rumors (who I believe to be legit), they are after some serious talent.

Players under contract, who could play in Providence next season:

Caron
Arniel
Sauve
Hamill
Camper
Riendeau
MacDermid
Randell

Kampfer
Bartkowski
Alexandrov
Cohen
Button
Warsofsky
Cantin
MacIver

Hutchinson
Courchaine

Sorry, it's a whole lot of empty speculation without much insight. But like I said, I rarely get to see the games and I wanted to make a thread, so the few nice people who updated us last season, could do that again.

Could a mod sticky this please?

Last edited by Gruntfuttock: 06-27-2011 at 08:03 AM.