View Single Post
Old
06-27-2011, 09:11 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
Never quite sure why Gilly got the whipping boy treatment in NY. While he didn't have a great sophomore year, at least he showed signs of progressing as opposed to MDZ who flamed out spectacularly (sadly). I thought Gilly was good down the stretch and very good in the playoffs- no surprise as he has always been a big game player.

That said, 2.1MM for a 6th or 7th Dman is just out of the question. Also, I think Slats is looking for MDZ to take that spot- and he gives us a lot of what Gilly could have, plus QB the PP.

I felt this way when San Jose let Matt Carle go, and now he is top pairing Dman on a very good Philly team, although he gets to play with Chris "Pure Evil" Pronger.

It says here that Gilly will catch on with a team and show that he is a workaday NHLer. I thought he had a great attitude, never became a problem when he was scratched, and worked his tail off to improve- and succeeded at it! He just wasn't physical enough, didn't have as good a shot as he needed to. Not a Torts guy. I for one feel like we gave up on him too early due to the contract numbers. He will blossom into a pretty good Dman with another team, the kid has character and talent- you watch.
You're comparing a 27 year old Gilroy to a 20 year old Del Zotto? One who was supposed to be an offensive defenseman, and another who has actually shown the ability to be one? I really hope you're not questioning why the Rangers would give up on Gilroy and still keep Del Zotto around. Tell me you understand that.

The only thing that makes no sense to me when it comes to Gilroy is what on earth the people who constantly support him were watching.

Gilroy didn't have as good a shot as he needed? Gilroy didn't HAVE a shot. It was easily one of the worst wrist shots I've ever seen from an NHL defenseman. Kid couldn't get the puck through 90% of the time.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote