View Single Post
Old
06-27-2011, 09:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Even though it turned out in the manner it did, I still think it was worth expending a 3rd round pick on Grachev. A player like that is worth taking a risk when they did. This is not a Jessiman situation where you cannot afford to miss on the player, as it will end up setting you back years. All that was lost here was two years of time and effort. At the end of the day, IMO, he still had important value, because the Rangers were able to move him and use the pick they received to draft another young player with boom potential. Again, they didn't move him for future considerations, and lose all value he ever had. He had equivalent value to a former top ten pick (Filatov). And, in the collective minds of Ranger brass, he brought back the equivalent of a 2nd round pick. Even though Grachev did not ultimately succeed as a Ranger, spending a 3rd round pick on him was worth the time and effort.

Besides, after drafting Kreider, seeing Dubinsky develop successfully as a LW, and the steady rise of Hagelin in the system, always made Grachev more likely to become trade fodder in my mind. Yes, it would have been nice to see him as part of a deal for a big time player, but, from what has now been determined, his value was a 3rd round pick.
Definitely a valid point. I should have been more specific. What I'm particularly not a big fan of using high draft choices on players of this type (although, admittedly, if I was running a draft, these type of selections really would be few and far between on my part, whether it was in the first round or the seventh). Yes, it's a lot more reasonable to use a mid or late round pick on these type of players.

But, of course, this is why I don't like the 2010 1st round selection so much, and also why I'm concerned about what Kreider will ultimately become (much less concerned about him than McIlrath, though).

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote