View Single Post
Old
06-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I object to McDonagh being called the #1 prospect. That may have been where he was ranked by Hockey Future but at the time Subban and maybe also Pacioretty were regarded by many as better, which is reflected by where each of the three are now. Not that McDonagh isn't a solid future D-man, but I think your use of that term to describe him is misleading.
and some still regarded Subban as a questionable defensive player heading into this season (and I bet some pundits would still try to make that claim, amazingly).

Short of a Sidney Crosby type player, it's always debatable whom the top prospect is for a team at any given time, so it's pointless to debate wether or not he actually was the #1, or #2 or #3...

point is more that he was a top prospect, he was a recent 1st round pick whose progression in 1 year after the draft, while perhaps not stellar, gave no indication that he was a bust or unlikely to live up to the high potential that made the team pick him.

at the time of the trade, he was widely considered a future top-4, if not top-2, NHL dman, not the kind of asset you trade away while taking on one of the worst contracts in hockey...

nothing misleading at all about it.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote