View Single Post
Old
06-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
I think you all are quickly forgetting what we gave up for Robyn Regehr. This happens all the time. Everyone says "player x is untouchable, it will take all of your best players +++ to get him", then said player is moved for an average return. I think if Malkin were moved, a lot of people on these boards would be shocked (and Pens fans enraged) with the return at first.

My scenario is if we were to get Malkin in a trade. If Shero was gonna ask Darcy for Ennis, Kassian, Adam, next year's first rounder AND THEN some more, Darcy would laugh at him and hang up. Teams just don't give up that much for a single player, no matter how good that player is.

A top tier forward prospect, a top tier defense prospect, and two first round picks is a lot, even for a player of Malkin's caliber. Malkin wasn't even at a PPG clip this year, he's been trending downward the past couple of years, and he's coming off a serious knee injury. Face it, his value is nowhere near at its highest. It's not like we're trading for him the minute after he won the Conn Smythe.
The Regehr situation is totally different and mostly had to do with Feaster's cap troubles. Even if the Penguins had cap trouble and wanted to move Malkin, why would they take Boyes back at 4 million? His knee injury might lower his value slightly, but he's still one of the top forwards in the league. They don't go cheaply or easily. I doubt Darcy hangs up as you suggest at the thought of giving up Ennis, Kassian, Adam and some picks.