View Single Post
Old
06-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
While I don't disagree, what I do disagree with is what Asterix was willing to offer to acquire them which would have been nothing short of an overpayment in both cases.

If the spare part players you are referring to are Maxwell then yes I agree.

I never argued that his proposals were off-base. I said they were overpayments. I also found it funny how he didn't like the trades I mentioned but preferred overpaying for these other players, which would have hurt the team more than it would have helped them at this point in time. Penner is an inconsistent complementary winger who is not at all different from Kostitsyn in terms of production and we'd all agree that a 1st for Andrei would be an overpayment.
Anyone who would agree with that would be wrong. A 1st for Andrei would not at all be an overpayment. First, which part of the first round (as the 20th+ spots are generally worthless) and in what quality of draft? The chances you get a better player (or even a player as good as him) than Andrei are slim. I would rather have Penner anyways, but the other team wouldn't rather have Kostitsyn. At least the Penner+Brouwer ideas were "big picture" kind of acquisitions, like Moore and Wiz... if management had actually signed them. And how can you not imply management has no vision? The big shot from the point has been the key to the Habs powerplay for the last millenium, yet every year since Streit left, they end up having to fix that problem mid-season with a higher acquisition price and after a few games were lost.