Thread: Confirmed with Link: Hamrlik has refused 1 yr offer. (post #363)
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Bobby12345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Weber is basically a spare part, he virtually has no impact. It is unlikely that Subban can be much better than last year, and Markov will not outperform Wiz by enough to make up for his departure. Plus, we have a total of 0 dmen who can be counted on to be the trigger man on the pp, which means we can pencil ourselves in for a bottom 5 pp. Our pk should be good, but it was already among the best in the NHL, so we gain nothing. By adding Hamrlik we basically have to hope that our forwards to decide to contribute about 40 more 5 on 5 goals this season, actually, probably more like 60 when you factor in that our powerplay will be terrible. You seem to thinklast year's defence was top 5 in the NHL (which you basically have to be to win the cup). It was not, and no top 5 defence in the NHL will have Hamrlik in the top 4. Its just not possible. Since we already have our bottom pairing set, we are looking for a top 4 dman. Hammer is NOT a top 4 dman on a contending team. Not anymore. If we sign Hammer it doesn't matter what else we do this off-season, it won't matter, because we will have surrendered any real chance of success by running with just 2 legit top 4 dmen. If we can't sign Wiz, then we have to after Ehrhoff or Kaberle hard, if we miss them, then we have to work on a trade, but I would rather miss entirely on the legit top 4 dmen and be forced to send out Weber every game than simply think that last year's team is due for a cup by adding an older Hamrlik.
Markov should technically actually do more than Wis in terms of offensive performance and has proven he can do it more consistently in the past. May I remind you that before last season, Wis' best season was 30 points (4 shy of Hamrlik's point total last year)
Markov is also much better defensively than Wis.

Hamrlik is not looking to play on the top as those spots are for the Markov-Gorges and Gill-Subban pairs.
Having such a good shot blocking machine who can also give you 30 odd points not being overused as a top 2 defenseman makes him even more effective.

I also see no reason why Subban would all of a sudden stop progressing.
He made huge strides during his first season in the NHL and didn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Your evaluation of Weber is also off the mark.
The kid had 11 points in 41 games while having minimal ice time and barely no PP time.
Give him some more and he'll be good for another 30+ points per season and provide a strong shot on the PP.

I'm not a Habs fan but because I live in Montreal, I get to see a lot of Habs hockey and frankly, when I look at this D corps, I think it can be one of the good ones in the league especially when backed by Price.
It's well balanced between offensive, defensive, old and young players.

Markov-Gorges
Gill - Subban
Hamrlik - Weber/Yemelin
Spacek

Bobby12345 is offline   Reply With Quote