View Single Post
Old
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Pog Form

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
The thing the best stickhandlers do is NOT have their stick on the puck. If your stick is on the puck all someone has to do is tap your stick in order to make you lose the puck.

Only touch the puck when you need to move it from one side of your body to the other, or when you're pushing it up-ice.

Apart from that, you need to lower your center of gravity as best you can, and "box out" your opponent as though you're rebounding in basketball. Do this, and when he reaches in with his stick, you can lift it and push the puck to the side of your body he isn't on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Not sure I agree with this statement at all. Center of gravity, sure, but maintaining control of the puck and spending time stickhandling around players in an ingame situation is how to become stronger on the puck. Experience, physically, weight management and timing all play a part. I would suggest doing one on one drills where one player keeps the puck away from the other in a small designated area. Will help with experience, weight management and timing.
Just a quick comment on this exchange:

I think SenzZen's advice is good but it only applies to certain situations. For example, protecting the puck along the boards while you're at a stand still. If you're facing the boards with your back to your opponent, you can use your body to shield the puck or "box him out" while you look around to decide your next move. Your stick can still be used to shield the puck as well, but it doesn't necessarily need to be on the puck. I think that's what he's talking about and I do agree that it's very effective.

If you're stickhandling while skating, you of course will need to have control of the puck. In that case, "being strong" is how you describe it, LyNX27: centre of gravity, balance, stickhandling skills, etc.

So, basically, you're both right. Both are effective ways to be strong on the puck, they just apply to different scenarios within a game.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote