View Single Post
Old
06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
lecherous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I have loved Brad Richards since the 98 Draft in Buffalo where at 13 years old I met Lecavalier and told him that Richards was going to score more points than him. Didn't come true yet, but I still don't think there's any benefit to giving Richards an 8 year deal, especially at a $7.5m cap hit. If this was 5 years ago and he's 26 or something it'd be a different thing alltogether, but I feel like he's going to get seriously overpaid simply because he's the best player available in what is pretty much an awful year for UFAs.

There's obviously been a ton of excitement around Pegula allowing us to spend to the cap, but I feel like the timing is off for going after a UFA. I would much rather use that cap room to have available to retain our core and never let another star see free agency again. I would be much happier to see them go after a 2nd line center via trade, maybe something like the Regehr situation where we take on a bit of salary and don't end up giving up much in return. No idea what his status is, but I'd go for a guy like Mike Fisher from Nashville. Kind of had an off year but absolutely capable of being a 2nd line center and 2 years left on a 4.2m cap hit contract means he shouldn't be too pricey in a trade.

Am I the only one that would be disappointed if they signed Richards to an 8 year deal?