Thread: Speculation: Habs interested in Hemsky.
View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markovskaya View Post
Look, Plek is a good regular season center and Kostisyn his moments (Eller in still unproven), but I'm talking about guys able to bring it in the playoffs. And sadly, history shows us that many euros are not able to compete when the game gets tight in the playoff. Look at the sendins in the SCF ? Hemsky is just another euro with talent and yes He will prolly score 20ish goals (IF HE CAN PLAY MORE THEN 60 games). THAT'S redundant. But what when the playoffs start ? Are we gonna trust him with putting the puck in the net when it counts ? I don't think so. We need clutch playoff players if we wanna go anywhere near a SCF and a cup.

he scored 14 pts (6 goals) in 24 games in 2005-2006 playoffs, so he's in no way useless. But that was years ago and he got injured un bunch of times since then.
I see no reason to trust North American players over Europeans in the playoffs, especially when it comes to offensive roles.

2010-11 3 of top 5 scorers in the playoffs are European including the leading scorer.
2009-2010 No Europeans in the top 5 (though the leading scorer is accused of being 'soft')
2008-2009 4 of top 5 scorers European, including leading scorer.
2007-2008 4 of top 5 scorers European, including leading scorer.
2006-2007 2 of top 5 scorers European, including leading scorer.
2005-2006 No Europeans in the top 5 of scoring.

Fact is, when it comes to offensive talent in the playoffs there's very little difference between North Americans and Europeans. Elite is elite. And Hemsky has elite talents.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote