View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
It's sad when the team's own fans consistently fail to realize the value of the player that is clearly the most important player on their team other than the superstar goaltender. The guy that is already a top 10 defensive forward in the league, and one of the most valuable all-around players to ever wear a Ranger jersey.

You don't let players like Ryan Callahan slip through your fingers. The only players who you hold on to with a tighter grip are flat out superstars. Players like Callahan are very, very rare, and very, very valuable. You don't know hockey if you don't see why, because if you know hockey, you realize what an immense advantage it is to have a player like Callahan on your team.

That said, I'm not too worried. I'm pretty sure if Callahan is allowed to leave VIA offer sheet, Tortorella quits the next day. This is just typical agent ********.
The same exact things were said about Chris Drury a decade ago, and rightfully so.

This is me looking way too far ahead, but I'll do it anyway because Im convinced this contract will run fairly smoothly. But what happens if Callahan performs for the next 5 years as we all think he will? A real leader capable of putting up 60 points or so each season? Sounds a lot like someone else right? And what happens when he gets overpaid in his next contract because of what he provides outside the numbers? Will he be villainized by the fanbase?

Perhaps most importantly, what happens when he begins to break down after 30? Hes a relatively small guy who plays much more physical than Drury ever did. His days are numbered, no doubt about it.

You think the underappreciation of Callahan is bad now? Just wait until it becomes somewhat justified.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote