View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i would take Jaromir Jagr @ 2 mil without a seconds hesitation.

you mean to tell me there are some ppl who think Wolski at nearly 4 mil is ok, but Jagr at 2 mil isn't?

seriously?
Actually, yes. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but I don't want Jagr on this team. It's a new era for the Rangers, and with Drury getting the boot, we can finally turn this team over to the core we already have in place. Bringing in a guy who has that kind of presence would be a mistake. I can't for a second envision that Jagr is going to come back to the NHL just to be along for the ride. He almost certainly wants to play a significant role on the team he signs with.

While I think Wolski is far from an ideal fit, I think he's closer to what this team should be building from than JJ is. If -- and yes, that's a big IF -- he can find some consistency to his game, he's a 50 point player in the NHL or better for the next several years. You might get that kind of production from Jagr, but what good does it do if it's only for a year? At the end of the season, they both go away, so the difference in cap savings is negligible.

Point being, you need to keep looking towards the future. Be it one year, or even two years from now, you have to look at what you have and say: "That's the year we're going to make a real run at the cup." Jagr is too much nostalgia and not enough forward thinking. A team like the Pens has a real use for Jagr, as does Detroit. They're serious contenders, and he's a piece that could put them over the top. We're on the cusp of being competitive, but now is not the right time to be bringing on players like Jagr.

Just my 2 cents.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote