View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Papa_Bear_21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
That's all fine and dandy, but what you and many others fail to notice is that Montreal was in a position they were never in before. They had Cap Space others didn't have. Prior to the lockout there were teams who could spend as much or more, in 2009 Montreal was one of the only teams with 20+million at their disposal.

Try to keep up with the times, I don't know if you know, but a CBA was negotiated and a Salary Cap was put in place. What happened in 1999 or 2003 aren't even slightly comparable, neither were other of the previous post lockout years, because the Habs were never before in the driver seat with an advantage over their opponents (cap Space). Had the Habs been tight to the cap and unable to offer premium contracts, neither Cammy or Gionta would be a Hab. Money was the reason and ideal circumstance, not Scott Gomez, ...
What? There's a salary cap? Since when? Well I guess that changes everything, huh?

Just go and look at the deal that have been signed since the lockout. Top players have hardly seen any difference (except for the fact that the maximum they can get is capped). In fact, because of the cap floor, I would say that a lot of players are getting better deals than they would have previously. Especially since they can become UFA's at at a much younger age than before the lockout. The difference is that these players are spread out around the league instead of being mostly one 3-4 teams.
Furthermore, being the only team with 20 million to spend is / was really irrelevant because a team with 7 million to spend on 1-2 players still could have offered Cammer
That same year, Martin Havlat got 30 million (for 6 years) from Minnesota, I believe Hossa got a huge deal from Chicago, the list goes on an on.

My point, and I'll try to make it more clearly this time, is that I don't believe that the fact that the Canadiens offered Cammer maybe 1 million dollars more than he would have gotten elsewhere is the major reason he came here. Particularly when you consider most of that money would have been eaten away in taxes anyways. The Canadiens could not sign a prominent free agent the year after they finished first in the conference and first in the league in scoring. They had to trade a first rounder for Alex Tanguay.

The one difference between summer 2009 and all the other summers since free agency began in the early 1990's (including those after the lockout) was that the Habs acquired a prominent centerman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
... yet Gainey managed to squander the competitive advantage we had over many other teams that off season, by making the 2nd worst trade in Habs history and the worst trade in post lockout hockey.
I covered this in an earlier post in this thread but how can you so grossly over exaggerate the significance of this trade?
I mean, for how long have you been following the Habs? 10 years?