Thread: Proposal: 6/7th Dman-Jim Vandermeer?
View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I think Vally is a safe bet to be our #7 defenseman. But if he fails to make it as our #7, we won't trade him anywhere because it will be a sign that he's just not good enough to play in the NHL, so why would anyone give up even a 7th round pick for him?
We have great prospect depth on the back end, and other organizations know this. No one would expect him to beat out Staal, McDonagh, Sauer and Girardi, and it would hardly be the end of the world if he were beaten out by Tim Erixon and Michael Del Zotto--two first round picks with plenty of upside. If he failed to make the team, it wouldn't necessarily be a poor reflection on him. What if he has a very good camp, but two other players have great camps?

Quote:
We have a lot of defensemen long-term, but not a lot coming into this year. We have a solid top-4. Then Erixon should easily lock up a #5 slot.

But spots 6 and 7 are wide open. Even if he plays on par with Kundratek, so long as his play is acceptable, he will be the one to take the #7 spot because 'tek doesn't have to go through waivers to get sent down.

The only way Vally does not make the Rangers this year is if he outright sucks. And if he sucks so much that he can't even be a #7, then forget about him as a player at any point in the future.
What about Del Zotto? I certainly think he's in the running for a spot in the top six...

Quote:
The guy will be 24 years old by the start of the season. If a 24 year old can't crack even the part-time spot on a team lacking (in the short-term) blueliner depth, then he's just not a player. I would assume that he'll just turn out and go back to the KHL for the rest of his career at this point. Nobody will give us anything for him and nobody would claim him off waivers.
He's a prospect competing against other prospects. Again, if he has a solid camp but other guys have great camps, it's not the end of the world for him. I'm sure you could acquire the highly-coveted "future considerations" for him, if nothing else.

I'd wager that the Rangers prefer having a veteran somewhere in the 5/6/7 spots on defense. Even if it's just Steve Eminger again. I don't see them going with Valentenko as the seventh.

If no one has interest in him, though, I think it's due to your last point--the flight risk.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote