View Single Post
Old
06-30-2011, 04:08 PM
mabus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalcommand View Post
Well, basically that's it. I didn't follow the NHL at all back then. He had 50 points in 65 games prior to leaving which is quite good.Were there some specific reasons (locker room, his play etc.) or did the Canadiens just want to take a new direction like Philly did this off-season?

What was the general sentiment in Montreal with the fans when he left? Good, bad? Perhaps share your feelings?

Thanks for the answers in advance!
Put simply, he was paid a high salary to be a 2nd line center, almost always had under 20 goals a season. His contract was up and he'd have to have renegotiated a raise, and the organization decided to go another way.

Another possible reason is that, they wanted to go after a big name center to attract some superstar wingers (like Cammalieri and Gionta), but you couldn't have Koivu, Plekanec (who was clearly better) and Gomez..... that'd make Koivu a VERY expensive third liner.

Another reason, perhaps lost to most people, is that he had been captain of the team for 1 season less than Henri Richard. I suspect (and maybe i'm wrong here), that management felt that Koivu was not "great enough" to have earned breaking that record.

That may have played some part in the decision to let him go.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote