Thread: Gagne Proposals
View Single Post
Old
10-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Aucoin is a pretty soild 2-way dman, but he sometimes gets overrated on this board. Despite the minutes he puts up on the Island (or used to put up before we got Janne N.) he is really a #3/#4 dman. He is also expensive, 30-YO, and will be a RFA this coming summer.

Then, you've got Parrish. Gritty as hell and easily capable of another 30 goal season. But, also streaky and has a limited top end.

Weinhandl is a nice young prospect, but hardly a sure thing.

Perhaps the Flyers would need to add a pick to even this out, but I don't think it favors the Flyers by that much.
I think Aucoin is at least a #2 defender on some teams, #3 on most and #4 on few(Detroit, Colorado, Dallas), who can log a tonne of minutes, play a solid two-way game and play the point on the PP which makes him a pretty valuable asset. But like you said, he's nearing UFA status and making over $3 mil per season. Still, there aren't many d-men out there who can log up to 30 min/game in ice-time, in all situations, and not be a liability.

Parrish is another pretty good assest. Mid 20's, 25-30 goal scorer, gritty, decent salary, but like you said he is streaky. Still, Parrish is a forward that most teams in the league could use.

Finally there's Weinhandl. He's very much unproven, but has a lot of offensive talent. Pretty decent prospect.

Although this isn't a deal that the Flyers would likely make, I believe that the Isles may be giving up a bit too much for a forward who has had some injury problems throughout his career. I like Gagne, he has a nice speed, hands, and defensive awareness, but I'm not sure that his potential(being a star player) is worth trading up 2 key players as well as a decent prospect.