View Single Post
Old
10-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
Excellent post Asiaoil. Some great points there, especially the "the Oilers are trading for tomorrow as much as today" bit. Its something we are all very cognizant of in the summer, but tend to lose sight of once the regular season starts.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the defenseman return suggestion. The fact is that top-six forwards have much more impact on the success of a team (i.e. their ability to outscore opponents) than top-four defensemen do, with only a handful of exceptions. And unless the return is a defenceman prospect who is potentially a game-breaker in the Lidstrom/Gonchar mould ... I'm hoping against it. Right now the Oilers have seven defencemen who play tough, they all fight when they need to, they all take a hit to make a play, they all have a little bit of their own GM in them. I doubt that is coincidence. And personally I don't mind one bit.

If the Oilers are looking to the future with a Comrie deal (which on the surface seems a bit crazy considering how young Comrie is) then they are best to wait IMO. GMs aren't going to deal away a key part of the future for short-term gain ... not unless their jobs are on the line. And it is way too early for that scenario to be available to Lowe, but it will probably happen eventually this year, and with a few teams, but not for some time yet.

Patience, Mr. Lowe, patience.
Well I could agree with going for a forward as long as Lowe knows that he can retain both Smith and Staios next season. A top 4 of Brew, Semi, Smith and Staios is fine - we have plenty of guys for the 3rd pair - and a couple of prospects who look to have 2nd pair potential (Lynch and Green). If we lose anybody out of the top 4 defense for an extended period, however, we're pooched.

What the Oilers are clearly missing is another elite player. Having another guy like that would take them to the next level - and it really doesn't matter what position he plays (forward, goal, defense). I would happily package Comrie, Rita and a pick for the right guy - and you're right - its going to take time before GMs on losing teams get desperate enough to do this kind of deal. Its time to go quantity for quality for a change and we actually have the trading chips to do that kind of deal.

As you said - patience gets us what we want - eventually